Brighton is my boyfriend’s home town so I’ve spent a lot of time there over the past five years and it’s one of my favourite places. It makes the seaside seem effortlessly cool and there’s endless amounts to do, not just a pier and pubs- though take a good amount of time for the glorious pub scene, you won’t find much else to rival it. Here’s some stuff you should find time for:
1) Visit the famous Lanes and look at all the pretty jewels in shop windows. There’s also loads of little independent shops, sweet shops, craft shops and plenty of pubs. It’s also an Instagram dream if you’re that way inclined.
2) Also go the The Lanes for dinner- particularly if it’s warm enough to sit outside. I recommend the Giggling Squid for killer Thai food.
3) Eat the best vegetarian food imaginable at Terre A Terre. I’m not veggie but this place is a foodie dream, as are the churros.
4) Take artsy photos of the West Pier ruin.
5) Go to many, many pubs. Brighton has more pubs per square mile than anywhere in the country, so no excuse. My faves are The Mash Tun, Fishbowl and I once spent a good six hours loving life in The Evening Star.
6) Eat all manner of bad-for-you food on the pier. It’s kind of compulsory to go to the pier even just for five minutes. The doughnuts make it worth while.
7) Get brunch at Kensingtons Balcony Cafe then go shopping in the streets around it. These little streets are lined with vintage shops, second hand clothes sales, stalls selling weird and wonderful jewellery and plenty of seriously good cake and coffee.There’s also a place called Snooper’s Paradise that you should check out just for the experience.
8) Walk around the gardens of the Royal Pavillion. Also prime picnic location if you snag a nice day. You can get a tour of the inside too if it’s not so much of a nice day.
9) Visit Beyond Retro and buy something much cooler than you really are.
10) Go street art spotting.
11) Eat fish and chips in OHSO and watch the sun go down.
12) Go to Choccywoccydoodah and look at chocolate sculptures and probably gain weight through your eyes.
13) Get tea, cake or breakfast at Blackbird Tea Rooms. I like it here because it’s decorated like a Victorian child’s bedroom and because the cake slices are like triple portions.
14) Head into Hove if you get the time, mostly to just admire all the beautiful houses really.